Cheesy Bacon Potato Casserole. Oh. My. Yumminess.
This recipe is all sorts of goodness. I came up with this on a whim one day. Having done all sorts of variations, this one is my favorite! It’s very simple to do and won’t break your bank either. It travels great, so take it to your next BBQ as a delicious side dish or make it as a wonderful dish for a brunch too.
Makes 12-15 servings
5 lbs boiled and 1/2 inch cubed potatoes (I used Russet this time, but Yukon Gold is delicious too)
1 lb of chopped and cooked bacon.
2 C sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
4 C shredded Mexican Cheese with 1/2 C reserved (for the topping)
2 T butter
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Boil potatoes till tender with a fork. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes and put into large bowl.
- Cut 1 lb of bacon into 1/4 inch pieces and cook on medium heat until mostly crispy.
- Add to potatoes with about a 1/4 cup of bacon grease
- Stir in sour cream, garlic powder and onion powder
- Mix until well blended
- Mix in 3 1/2 Cups of the shredded cheese
- Grease a 9×12 glass baking dish with the 2 T of butter, making sure to get the sides well
- Put potato mixture into baking dish
- Sprinkle reserved 1/2 C of shredded cheese over top of casserole
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes then Broil on high for 3 minutes
- Take out of oven and let rest for 10 minutes
- Top with sour cream, green onions or anything else your heart desires!
Hope you and your family enjoy this as much as we do! Feel free to comment below and let me know.