This is another one of those recipes that you think sounds good, but need to tweak it. I ended up making a whole new recipe, including the amounts and ingredients. So, you could say, I came up with this recipe via a suggested one, haha!
We just started our Biggest Loser Challenge. Josh is in the lead and it’s only the first week. What a brat… Let’s be honest, guys can diet for a day and drop more than most of us women can in a week. Not fair, but life is life. I am a woman who needs chocolate. I also didn’t want to sabatoge the weight I had already lost or the fact that I hadn’t eaten any “crap” in a week. So, I came up with this. The perfect little chocolatey bite to soothe any “Chocolate Craving Beast” that you may have. I had to stop at two….I could have very well kept going, but I had to dig deep and find my Willpower. It’s there! I knew it was in there somewhere, I just needed chocolate to prove it still existed. Here is my recipe:
- 2 Cups Quick Cook Oats
- 2 1/2 Cups Unsweetened Flaked Coconut*
- 1 1/2 Cup of Coconut Sugar**
- 1/2 Cup Canned Lite Coconut Milk***
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil****
- 3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- pinch of salt
- Mix Oats and Flaked Coconut in bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan add remaining ingredients. Heat on Med-High until you have a rolling boil (When it is bubbling rapidly)
- Continue to stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Using a spatula, add cocoa mix to the Oat and Flaked Coconut. Stir until well blended.
- Drop by tablespoon ( I use my Pampered Chef Small Scoop #2530) onto lined cookie sheet.
- Place in fridge, uncovered, for at least 1/2 hour.
- Store in fridge or freezer.
* you can use sweetened coconut flakes, just omit 1/2 cup of sugar and only use 1 cup
** you can use granulated sugar. (I haven’t tried with honey or agave, so if you do, please let me know how it works)
*** you can use refridgerated almond, coconut or cows milk. (I haven’t tried with any other)
**** you can substitute butter for the coconut oil
(I am sure that they will keep for a couple weeks or longer in a container in the fridge or freezer. I would not know, since they were gobbled up within 24 hours!! haha! My next quest will be to update this with that answer…if I put it in the garage fridge or freezer, the kids (and husband) are less likely to discover them!)
I am sure you will enjoy these as much as we do! I took them to work and shared with some of my patients and coworkers. You don’t have to share them with anyone if you don’t want to.
Please leave a comment below and let me know how you like them, or if you tweaked the recipe to suit your needs. I am thinking of adding a little almond butter in the saucepan next time, so I will let you know how that works out. Enjoy!
Always find your patch of sun…